The Guardian: Voters expect social upheaval for the second time in a year, no matter who wins yesterday’s general election in Bolivia.
 Polls open at 8am yesterday morning in an election that will not feature former president Evo Morales for the first time in 20 years. It comes a year after the indigenous leader stood for, and won, an unconstitutional fourth term in a controversial election last year that sparked weeks of protests. Morales, who resigned amid what he described as a “coup” and fled into exile in Buenos Aires, is barred from taking part this time around but his successor as leader of the Movement for Socialism (MAS) party, Luis Arce, has topped every poll since he was nominated in January. From Buenos Aires, Morales’ press team said he would be following the “historic” events from the Argentine capital, where he has refugee status. The former president “will not fulfill any public agenda during this Sunday, October 18 and he will not be able to exercise his right to vote due to the disqualification, for political reasons, which prevented him from registering in Buenos Aires,” his advisors said. “The Bolivian people will live through a historic day since they will go to the polls in the hope of a better future, with joy and in peace,” said the former president, quoted in the
Tensions have been running high both inside and outside Bolivia, with MAS warning of a pending “fraud” and threatening to protest should they not get their way, while misinformation has been circulating freely.