Bangladesh’s Momena Soma stabs another while being jailed in Australia
Rumi Akter Polly of DOT
2) Momena Soma, who is serving a 42-year sentence for stabbing her landlord in Melbourne nine days after she left Bangladesh for Australia on a student visa, stabbed another female prisoner while she was in jail, reports deshrupantor.com.
3) Momena (27) is from Narayanganj, Bangladesh. Her father works for an insurance company. Momena is the elder of the two sisters. After completing ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels from Master Mind School in Dhaka, Momena studied English Literature at North South University. After that she went abroad for higher education. 4) Soma went to Australia on a student visa from Bangladesh on February 1, 2018. Nine days later, she attacked a man named Roger Singaravelu in Melbourne with a knife.
The country’s police arrested Soma shortly after the attack.
5) According to Victorian state law, Soma had to face a punishment for minimum of 31 years and six months in prison. While serving her sentence, she hacked his fellow prisoner in Ravenhall prison on October 30, according to several media outlets in Australia and Britain.
6) Soma was charged yesterday in a video trial, according to The Australian and Britain’s Daily Mail, which are owned by News Crop.
7) According to intelligence reports from Bangladesh and Australia, Momena carried out the terrorist attack, inspired by the Islamic State (IS), a Middle East-based militant group. Inspired by militancy, Momena Soma wanted to go to Syria through Turkey in 2015. She was also admitted to a private university in Turkey. But she did not go to Turkey because she did not get a visa.
8) At that time Momena Soma’s younger sister Asmaul Hosna was interrogated by the investigating officers of Bangladesh. At that time, Asmaul Hosna attacked the police in Dhaka’s Mirpur while searching for Momena. Police later arrested Hosna. And this information came up through her arrest.