Bangladeshis among 49 killed in Christchurch terror attack
Hossen Sohel of DOT
At least 49 people, including three Bangladeshis, were killed in Christchurch terror attack. However, Bangladesh cricket team narrowly escaped the attack, reports banglanews24.com, Reuters.
Two Bangladesh nationals were killed in terror attack at Christchurch mosques, Mohammad Sufiur Rahman, Bangladesh High Commissioner to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, told media.
A gunman broadcast live footage on Facebook of the attack on one mosque in the city of Christchurch, mirroring the carnage played out in video games, after publishing a “manifesto” in which he denounced immigrants, calling them “invaders”.
New Zealand was placed on its highest security threat level, Ardern said, adding that four people taken into custody held extremist views but had not been on any police watchlists.
“It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack,” Ardern said, call this “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.
Police said later three people were in custody and one man in his late 20s had been charged with murder. He will appear in court on Saturday.
The visiting Bangladesh cricket team was arriving for prayers at one of the mosques when the shooting started but all members were safe, a team coach told Reuters.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said 49 people had been killed in total.
The video footage widely circulated on social media, apparently taken by a gunman and posted online live as the attack unfolded, showed him driving to one mosque, entering it and shooting randomly at people inside.
Worshippers, possibly dead or wounded, lay huddled on the floor, the video showed. Reuters was unable to confirm the authenticity of the footage.